I would like to take a guess that at least 85% of people on earth have experienced being overwhelmed. The other 15% are the problem. Just kidding, 100% of us are the problem. It’s like that movie Romy and Michelle’s Highschool reunion, when what’s her name discovered that while she always thought she was the victim of bullying, she never thought about how she played the bully to the girl less popular than her.
But I digress, there are times we are being pulled in a million directions. It’s not a feeling; it is an actual occurrence. Within one minute, I could have anywhere from 5 people or more asking me to do things for them. Whether it be answering a question, make a phone call, fix a problem, respond to an email, put out a fire, start a fire, open a door, you name it. All things taking you away from what you must accomplish to get an opportunity to breathe.
And it doesn’t matter, whether you have one business or three, all of us are suspectable to being overwhelmed.
The worst part is, we never want to admit it. Because it shows we are fallible. We agonize over what others will think about our dreams and aspirations; therefore, we must always be strong. We worry that we aren’t enough. We can’t handle it. I promise you all, when this feeling rears its ugly head, you are not alone, and it is temporary.
So how do you deal with it? For me, I take a break and breathe.
I know people have no clue what I have going on, or how many people simultaneously are always reaching out to me. All of us, including myself, tend to only see ourselves and our own needs. It’s an unfortunate truth that we don’t recognize the hardships of others until a person responds to us in a way that catches us off guard. Only then do we -hopefully- think about their personal experience and adjust our behavior accordingly. And might I add: if you’ve never experienced this self-reflection, then you need to really think about how you treat people.
I will also advise this, pay attention to those around you in your work life, just like friendships, ask yourself who is withdrawing more than they are depositing.
I also find writing therapeutic. There was definitely some inspiration behind this edible fact this week.